oh, do i have a recipe for you guys today.
i’ve tried to be humble about this one, but that quickly gave way to my gigantic baking ego. i wonder what freud would say about that?
whoever my future manfriend is will surely be one lucky dude, because i’m pretty sure this will bring tears of joy to his eyes.
because my friend sam and i basically cried tears of joy over our pieces of cake (three in my case. woops.)
and since i have a baking ego (and because i copied this recipe down by hand into my recipe journal and veganized the recipe) i am going to call it my own. also, because this recipe initially suggested a “chai cream” topping and to be honest, if i wanted to eat something that tasted like toothpaste, i would just eat toothpaste. cut out the chai-flavored middle man entirely.
yeah, freud. what says you to that?
pumpkin cake with cranberry glaze, adapted and veganized by yours truly.
1.5 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. vegan margarine (i use earth balance and i think it is the god of “butters”, but feel free to use less immortal butters if you like)
1 can of unsweetened pumpkin
1/2 tsp. each of nutmeg, cloves, ginger (i almost never have ginger, so i just used more nutmeg and felt less fancy. deal.)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. flax seeds (these are your “eggs”, they are used to bind everything together and help it rise.) + 4 tbsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 bag of fresh cranberries (1.99 at trader joe’s! what what!)
1 c. of orange juice
2/3 c granulated sugar
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. mix together all the ingredients until well incorporated. some people like to add dry to wet mix ingredients, but i find that i usually never do that and always get good results. so shenanigans on that rule.
3. grease down a springform pan and mentally prepare yourself for the torrential rainstorm of deliciousness that you are about to devour.
5. pour cake batter into spring form and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until a knife/toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. while cake is baking, prepare the ingredients for the cranberry topping.
5. place orange juice, sugar, and cranberries into a large sauce pan on high and cook until cranberries are all mushy and your whole apartment smells like what you think a pottery barn catalogue would smell like. put the cranberry sauce/glaze into a separate container and chill for 3-4 hours(chilling is optional, but i kind of fancied it).
around 45 minutes later when the cake is done, your roommates will proclaim how glad they were that they found you on craigslist and your friends will realize that your harry-potter themed tattoo is redeemed because of your gigantic baking ego and skills.