i daydream about future parties i will plan and the menus that go along with it. (chocolate cherry cupcakes for valentine’s day. pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes with maple frosting for thanksgiving) i mean, they didn’t make me emerson’s quidditch world cup team mom for nothing? homegirl has some menu-planning skillz. and a significant lack of shame. but that’s another story.
in a way, this recipe is a tester for the feast that my lovely blog-friend maya and i will be feasting on just a few short weeks from now. in fact, we had a pretty intense g-chat about said feast. here are some of the gems. enjoy:
Maya: I LOVE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING CUSTARD RELATED
me: i just want to jump into a large vat of it
I COULD SWIM IN CUSTARD
AND JUST BATHE IN IT
me: kjdghkjdhj yessss
put it in an iv pleaaase
me: if they made earl grey custard
i would no longer need men in my life
Maya: men are so finicky
custard is not
me: i would just order a huge life’s supply of it
and get myself to a nunnery
which then led to the “official thanksgiving menu of outstanding glory 2k11”:
Maya: 1) field roast
me: UM YES PLEASE
Maya: 2) roasted brussels
3) coconut milk sweet potatoes with peanut butter
4) cranberry sauce? homemade?
me: 3) orgasmic mashed potatoes
me: 5) pumpkin cake with raspberry glaze
Maya: YAYAYAYAYAY starches
me: 6) pumpkin cupcakes with chocolate chips and maple frosting
7) HOMEMADE CORNBREAD STUFFING
me: 8 ) MAJOR NAP
Maya: me: 9) FOOD COMA
me: 10) MORE STARCHES.
me: 11) CUSTARD I.V.
as you can tell, i am very much a carb sympathizer. they always look so lonely, not being eaten by people trying to watch their figure. i’m just trying to find them a home, in my belly. that’s all.
that being said, i found some good homes for this cinnamon apple crisp.
8 apples, sliced and cored
juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp. corn starch
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp each: nutmeg, allspice
pinch of cloves
1/2 c. maple syrup (awwwww yeaaaaaaaaah)
1.5 c. rolled oats.
1/3 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. canola oil
2 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1. for filling, combine all ingredients in an oven safe baking dish. cover with tin foil and bake that sucker for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
2. while filling is baking, combine all topping ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside until filling is done baking.
3. remove tin foil from baking dish and add topping to the filling and continue baking for another 30 minutes.
4. allow the scents of a pottery barn catalogue fill your kitchen as you sip tea and admire your own domesticity. think about how lucky your future gentleman callers will be.
5. take the apple cinnamon dish of heaven out from your oven. decide that a tasty molten bowl of apple goodness and soy ice cream is exactly what you need in your mouth. try to pass off your tears of pain as tears of intense delight to your roommates.